Sunday, June 16, 2019

Boi 3- Goodbye (。•́︿•̀。)

As this experience comes to an end, I am able to reflect fondly on the memories I have made and things I have learned while in Japan. I will be forever grateful for moments I shared with my new friends. During my reflections it is easy to notice the important role food has had during my trip in many different ways, and how a culture can be shared through it. Whether it be memories of relaxing after morning classes in the cafeteria, speculating on the days upcoming events over a warm plate of food (for me, it was always katsu curry), or going out to eat with newfound friends and trying new things, I believe that I will cherish these times forever.

I’m frankly a bit overwhelmed by all of the new experiences I’ve had, but it’s definitely in a good way. I never truly thought I would make it to Japan, let alone spend over a month here (I stayed a little longer, though the last two weeks have been slightly lonely as everyone returns back to Canada). This trip has been much more than a mere learning experience to me, it’s really a dream come true. I wasn’t expecting to feel so at home in such a foreign environment, and even if I’m not the best at handling the Japanese language, day to day life here just felt so natural. I don’t want to get too personal here but being in Japan brought me a great sense of peace and stability. And, truth be told, I didn’t expect I would bond with other people here, whether it be others on the trip or Japanese students, the way I inevitably did. I’ve made new friends and connections that I never anticipated and will be eternally grateful for, and I can only hope to further nurture these connections in the future. 

I felt that I was able to come out of my shell while in Japan, to sing freely with friends at karaoke, and go out to try new exciting foods, things that I didn’t really expect to be honest, I don’t really go out much in Canada. I had the chance to go to Shabu Shabu (Japanese hot pot) with my wonderful and ever amusing roommate, Misaki, as well as try some uncommon (in western a.k.a white person standards) cuts of meat at Yakiniku with Madi and Madi’s conversation partner Ayumi.

I feel like I have grown during my time in Japan and hope that I can carry this growth with me back to Canada, I will definitely try my best to.

I will never have enough words to describe how I felt during my stay here, but the thought of leaving in a few days, while I’m excited to get back home to my cats, leaves my heart heavy. One day I hope to come back, if possible, maybe study here for longer, and of course try more foods while I’m at it.

Until then I’m happy that I had this opportunity, and I’ll never forget the things I learned and experienced while in Japan. Until next time!

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boi 3- Goodbye (。•́︿•̀。)

As this experience comes to an end, I am able to reflect fondly on the memories I have made and things I have learned while in Japan. I wil...