Thursday, May 30, 2019

Boi 3- My Experiences and Thoughts on Food Culture

So far my experience in Japan has taught me a great deal, not only regarding my topic of food but I've also learned a lot through the cultural experiences. The food culture in Japan reflects many of their societal values and is significantly different from that which is present in Calgary.

So far I've found food and meal times to be a very convenient and enjoyable experience in Japan, in my own personal opinion. The social experience of sharing meals with friends is not something I did often until coming to Japan, and I can truly say I've enjoyed every moment of these meals.

In terms of street and festival food, I've also found this to be an enriching social experience that further built my friendships with the other Japanese students or conversation partners, etc. When going out, we without a doubt would stop for a quick snack, whether it be crepes in Harajuku, croquettes in Kamakura, or any of the many other street foods we indulged in. Bonding over delicious snacks and food is without a doubt one of the best forms of bonding in my opinion, even better when they're relatively cheap but still taste good! Going out for food definitely seems to be a preferred form of bonding amongst the Japanese students, as many of our outings have been centered around eating.

The foods are delicious and easy to eat. I was fairly surprised to receive a small spoon with not only my crepe in Harajuku, but later on an ice cream cone as well. This made both snacks much easier to eat and enjoy without worrying about the mess, a pretty smart idea that I never expected. Though I imagine this would be a difficult idea to implement in Calgary due to the strides currently taken to reduce the usage of plastic.

By far one of my favourite parts of Japan has been experiencing all the different foods, and I plan on trying even more. 

I believe I was correct in my thought that Japan's connective society has a play in the lasting existence and popularity of street and festival food in Japan. As food and eating together is seen as a great way to bond with current and new friends, it would only be smart to have shops available everywhere for small snacks and treats, not only restaurants. In Calgary, I feel as though going out to eat is seen as a big or important event, as you generally have to go to a restaurant. There aren't many smaller sized shops or stalls available for casual eating.

This is definitely something I'm going to miss after leaving Japan, but I hope we can possibly incorporate some of this culture into our own Canadian one and make meals and meal times a more memorable and socially enriching experience that we engage in often.

The topic of food is one definitely worth looking into but can be very vast in information. Nonetheless, it is surely worth studying and immersing yourself into another society's mealtime culture and learn more about their view of foods. I believe this will greatly help you understand more about their societal values and workings.

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boi 3- Goodbye (。•́︿•̀。)

As this experience comes to an end, I am able to reflect fondly on the memories I have made and things I have learned while in Japan. I wil...