Thursday, May 2, 2019

Boi 3 Introduction

Hey hey, my name is Sarah and I'm a 21-year-old second year East Asian Language Studies student at the University of Calgary. When I have free time I enjoy spending it drawing, painting, or reading things usually related to horror or psychological topics, though I do enjoy a good romance story once in a while.

 Growing up, I also learned to play the violin, however, I haven't played in a while so I'm not very good anymore.

My interest in Japan started young when I became interested in Japanese anime and manga. I found the art style to be very intriguing and cute and was inspired to start drawing myself, this led to art being a very large part of my life, now I've been drawing for around nine years.
This interest in anime and other Japanese media is what sparked my interest in traveling to Japan.

When I wasn't drawing I was busy skating and playing ringette, a sport that dominated most of my life up until very recently, having played for over ten years, until I quit to focus on other things in my life. My main focus right now, besides school, is taking care of my three specialty pure-bread sphinx cats, they require a lot of attention and affection, I even have to give them baths, clean their ears and cut their nails. I'm going to miss them a lot while in Japan but probably won't miss being covered in scratches all the time.

I'm excited to be in Japan and attend Senshu University to be able to improve my Japanese language skills and have the chance to practice my speaking on a daily basis. Having been born in Canada and grew up only speaking English, I imagine it will be a large culture shock, but I'm looking forward to it.

I also enjoy playing Japanese mobile gatcha games, specifically the game Onmyoji and cute rhythm games such a LoveLive.

 Growing up I was also interested in the Japanese pop idol Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Visual Kei music and fashion. The alternative fashion subcultures in Japan are of great interest to me and I'm hoping to get a better idea of the popular fashions in Japan, as well as hopefully see examples of some of the more niche styles in places such as Harajuku.
On that note, I am very excited to shop in Japan, not only for the possible differences in what is sold in Japan but the differences in clothing and shoe sizes in comparison to Canada. As a very small person, only 4 ft 11in or 150 cm, and having small feet, it's a bit hard for me to find clothing in Canada that fits me well, I'm interested in how the clothing in Japan will fit me in comparison.

Fashion and makeup is a huge passion of mine and Japan has a very unique history of fashion and intriguing subcultures that I look forward to possibly seeing in person, as well as experimenting with it myself.

こんにちは、セラと申します、よろしくお願いします。私はカルガリー大学の学生、二年生です。専攻はアジア研究です。私はカルガリーで生まれて、一生ここに住んでいました,今私は21歳です。絵を描きたり、本を読みたり、怖い映画を見るが好きです。日本でたくさんの新しいおいしい食べ物を試すのを楽しみにしています。

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boi 3- Goodbye (。•́︿•̀。)

As this experience comes to an end, I am able to reflect fondly on the memories I have made and things I have learned while in Japan. I wil...